The fighting continues, this Sunday, June 12 from 5 a.m., between the Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of Congo (FARDC) and the Rwandan terrorists supported by the Rwandan army in Bunagana in the territory of Rutshuru (North Kivu), a village located on the border with Uganda and around Rwanda.
According to security sources, Bunagana remains under FARDC control although the locality of Bigega in Rutshuru was conquered on Friday June 10.
Bunagana is of “great” commercial and military strategic importance. The Directorate General of Customs and Excise (DGDA) declared in 2012 that this village located in the territory of Rutshuru generated between 500,000 and 700,000 US dollars in customs revenue each month. It borders Uganda.
According to a security source, Bunagana is fully under the control of FARDC this Sunday late morning. Terrorists of M23 have been captured. Also according to this source, the M23 attack this morning was launched from the Ugandan border.
Since Sunday, fighting has pitted the Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of Congo (FARDC) against the M23 terrorists “supported by Rwanda” in the city of Bunagana, near Goma (North Kivu). Until Monday, June 13, 2022, migratory movements are reported towards Uganda.
A source close to the military administration of Rutshuru territory said that the M23 terrorists controls the city of Bunagana and enjoys the support of Rwanda and Uganda on the battlefield. Most of the inhabitants of Bunagana have found refuge, particularly in Uganda.
“The enemy came from behind with its allies of Uganda and Rwanda. Just the city is controlled by the enemy, 6 to 7 kilometres. Customs hadn’t been working since the terrorism begun. All those who work there have taken refuge in Uganda. The system did not work due to insecurity on the road. In Tchanzu it is the M23. But on other hills the FARDC are still there. Where there is an exchange of fire, the population could not stay there. There was resistance. A good part took refuge in Uganda (…)” , she said.
The day before, the Congolese army, through the spokesman for the provincial government of North Kivu, General Sylvain Ekenge, accused Rwanda of wanting to occupy the border city of Bunagana with the objective of “paralysing the economy of the city of Goma”. Since then, clashes have continued until Monday.
The Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of Congo revealed, in a press statement on Friday, June 10, that the Rwandan army fired a dozen bombs on Congolese territory.
These bombs launched from Rwanda exploded in Biruma and Kabaya, localities located in the group of Kisigari, chiefdom of Bwisha, in the territory of Rutshuru, respectively five and a half kilometres and one and a half kilometres east of Rumangabo.
“For the Kabaya bombs, which fell more specifically within the walls of the Saint Gilbert Institute, the provisional toll is two male children killed. They are ISHAKA Mapenzi aged 7 and Jérémie NZIUVIRA aged 6. Another boy whose identity is not yet specified was injured and is admitted to a local hospital,” the Congolese army said.
According to the same press release, the Congolese army qualified this act as a war crime and a crimes against humanity.
The city of Bunagana, bordering Uganda, in the territory of Rutshuru, which is also vital for Goma, woke up under fire from the M23 terrorists this Sunday, June 12, 2022.
The city was attacked in its outskirts by these terrorists supported by Rwanda, according to an official communication from the army made this Sunday evening. The Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of Congo accuse the country of Paul Kagame of wanting to occupy Bunagana in order to paralyse the economy of the city of Goma.
“The M23 terrorists, supported by artillery and soldiers from the Rwandan army, attacked, early this morning without success, the FARDC positions of Bigega 1 and 2, more or less 5 km south-east of Bunagana. The objective pursued by Rwanda is to occupy Bunagana, not only to asphyxiate the city of Goma but also to put pressure on the Government of the DRC”, said General Sylvain Ekenge, spokesman for the military governor of North Kivu in a statement.
During this response, supported by MONUSCO forces, the army claims, however, to have lost a senior officer. This is Major Eric Mwisa, security officer of General Peter Cirimwami, head of operations in the area.
Last Friday, the Congolese army accused Rwanda of having dropped a dozen bombs on Congolese soil in Biruma, bombing a school and killing two schoolchildren. This Sunday, Doctor Denis Mukwege, Nobel Peace Prize 2018, stepped up to call for the involvement of the international community, placing the war in the DRC on the same level as that of Ukraine.
Meanwhile Eight people were killed by Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) terrorists in the locality of Mayimoya, in the Bambuba-Kisiki group, Beni territory in North Kivu, on Saturday and Sunday June 12, 2022.
In the Bambuba-Kisiki group, the terrorists made an incursion into several villages, notably Linzo, Opira, Kokola (…) They killed 5 people on Saturday before setting fire to a motorbike. And this Sunday they have just executed 3 other civilians. However, they released 3 hostages.
A situation which caused the massive displacement of the inhabitants who took the direction of Oïcha, capital of the territory of Beni, confirms the deputy mayor of this municipality.
“Saturday and Sunday, (…) the town is receiving displaced people from Mayimoya, Opira, Kokola, Linzo and surroundings. They are fleeing the latest attacks that caused human and material damage in the Bambuba-Kisiki group. Some are with host families and others at Mwangaza. This is pending the measures that will be taken by the authorities at the provincial level,” he said.
In the villages attacked, several activities have stopped, according to the sources in the region.
Trained by a detachment of French forces in Gabon (EFG), the second “Jungle” battalion of the Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of Congo (FARDC) completed its training on Thursday June 9 at the Kibomango training centre, located in the municipality of N’Sele in Kinshasa.
The closing ceremony took place the same day in the presence of the Minister of Defense Gilbert Kabanda and other senior Congolese military authorities, the French Ambassador to the DRC Bruno Aubert, the Commander of the French forces in Gabon, General François -Xavier Mabin and the second commander of the MONUSCO force, Major General Benoît Chavanat.
The objective of this training was to “train the whole battalion in defensive and offensive combat, with particular emphasis on combat in the jungle: shooting, fight against IEDs (improvised explosive devices), first aid…”, communicated the French Embassy in the DRC on Sunday, June 11.
According to the same source, the staff officers of this battalion have also received specific training in the implementation of a tactical command post (CP) in operation.
Note that France had undertaken to form three “Jungle” battalions. The first has been operational in North Kivu since September 2021. It had also been trained by French forces in Gabon (EFG).
- HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS IN DRC BY M23 TERRORISTS - August 22, 2022
- M23 TERRORISTS CARRY OUT NEW ATTACKS - August 16, 2022
- PATRICE LUMUMBA AND THE CONGOLESE INDEPENDENCE - July 1, 2022